Sunday, July 4, 2010

My newbie experience in Odesk

I really had second thoughts of writing this article. Why? It is because I may not be an expert yet in sharing my thoughts on this. Nevertheless, as I see a lot of Filipinos leaving their families to go abroad and look for greener pastures, I realized that I have an obligation as a Filipino to write this article.

I just finished my academic subjects for my Doctor in Business Administration. I took a leave as a business law professor in one of the biggest business schools in Manila so that I can concentrate on having a baby. I get bored when I am not doing something. But when a friend recommended to me an online job, I took a good look at it and I thought to myself: "Why don't I try it. You get to work at home, no spending on clothes, but most importantly, you make money on the side."

So I tried it. The business model provides online work to people who prefer working at home. You get to work with all kinds of employers around the world. You get paid in US dollars at an hourly rate or at a fixed price. You only have to log in at https://www.odesk.com/login.php and register.

Right now I am on my first month at oDesk and I am already earning a decent living. For newbies at oDesk, I believe this is already considered as an accomplishment. My gain is that I have learned new things on the web. Laws all over the world is just on the internet..... my experience in odesk gave me that opportunity to learn and know.

With the work in odesk, I just stay at home, working on the internet. I do not spend on clothing, transportation or gasoline expense. I do not have to go abroad to find work. Work is definitely in my home, you just have to be persistent in finding where they are.

It was not easy finding work at oDesk. I had to post a lot of personalized cover letters, think of all kinds of creative writing just to make my cover letter interesting to read. In my spare time, I improve my profile and resume and take all the different kinds of skills test available to help me refresh my skills where I specialize in. I even posted my best photo so that everyone would see how good I look professionally. I provided good foundation in my profile and was obsessed in taking all of the skills test which I am capable of taking. Summing everything that I have done as a foundation, employers and buyers started to trust me on their projects. It felt good that I have been helping employers on Odesk. And I do not need to go abroad to earn money.

I just hope that with this article, Filipinos would try to reflect if it is really worth going abroad just to earn money, well in fact you can work and earn dollars, right on your very own home.

1 comment:

  1. Odesk really is a big help. I have so many friends who are single moms and they are working while they are waiting for their kids at school.

    www.hreric.com

    ReplyDelete