Monday, May 12, 2014

Part II -- Conceptualizing the Objectives of the Dissertation

Now that my dissertation title was approved, the next step is to write Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of my dissertation.  Starting from scratch and with no specific objectives in mind, I have no choice but to work on my approved title and conceptualize the objectives of my dissertation in the meantime.

Initially, I had to conduct additional studies so that I can have an overview of my dissertation topic.  I had to do a lot of internet research plus textbook hunting at Amazon, Powerbooks, National Bookstore, Booksale and Fully Booked.  When I could not find any book related to my topic, I had to go to my alma mater, De La Salle University, where I was given a free facility to conduct journal research. Going to the National Library was the place where I found a gold mine for references, a place where you least expect to find relevant and updated sources of information.    Looking for books and journals was not enough because I have to go to three  government agencies where I can seek secondary sources or an interview with experts to inquire about my topic.  I even devoted time to attend a seminar on actuarial practice so that I can ask experts regarding my dissertation.  To sum it up, it took me two months just to conceptualize the objectives of my dissertation and after conducting overwhelming initial studies.   

Was there an easier way for me to conceptualize the objectives of my Dissertation?  I could have gone to my adviser to seek guidance.  However, I felt that this is a battle which I alone must fight.  No adviser can help me out in this situation except me.

You need to explore all possible outlet to find what you are looking for.  You can only do this by finding time doing field work.  Planning your activities for the week and organizing your schedule when visiting companies, libraries, government agencies and bookstores should be very helpful.

Below is a photograph of my classmates after a comprehensive learning experience from a professor in Project Planning and Development.  

No comments:

Post a Comment