Monday, May 12, 2014

Part IV -- Protocol Defense

The Protocol Defense was the time when I was at my weakest.  Sometime during the preparation stage, I sprained my ankle.   The results were not satisfactory, that is why the panel of evaluators recommended a re-defense.

Nevertheless, my persistence did not stop me from trying.  My second re-defense helped me improve my Statement of the Problem and Objectives.  The backlog was in the questionnaire which I am supposed to use for data gathering.  Validation of the questionnaire had to be done before I was allowed to proceed with data gathering.   I was advised to hire a statistician for the validation of the questionnaire.  Three months after my second re-defense, my questionnaire was validated, paper was approved and I was officially allowed to undertake data gathering.

The protocol defense stage was my most difficult moment.  Allow me to share some basic tips so that your protocol defense can run smoothly:

  • Allow yourself with a script when making a presentation.    Your presentation must not go beyond the time limit. The time limit varies for every defense but in my experience I was allowed a maximum of 25 minutes.  A script can be helpful in making a methodical presentation without going beyond the time limit.  Should your time limit expire, you will be asked to stop your presentation so that the panel of evaluators can proceed to the question and answer portion.
  • Be sure your laptop is in perfect condition.    Make sure you check your laptop the night before the actual date of the protocol defense.  Your laptop is where all your information will be stored and where you are most comfortable when making a presentation. 
  • Bring a pointer for the presentation.  A pointer is an effective tool when making a presentation.   This will be effective especially when you will operate the laptop yourself.  Allowing a third person to operate your laptop may prove to be ineffective during the presentation.
  • Wear corporate attire during presentation.  Be at your best during the presentation by wearing corporate attire.  For the women, shoes must be closed with 1 1/2 inch heels; slight make-up will put up a glowing face and will put the panel of evaluators in a glowing disposition. For the men, a coat and tie would be the best, although a long polo shirt with tie is acceptable.  Investing a well-planned wardrobe for the protocol defense is preferred. 
  • Prepare a set of questions which can be possibly asked by the Panel of Evaluators.  The panel of evaluators will be asking questions to test your ability to undertake the dissertation.  The questions are not meant to inquire, it is really meant to test.    Preparing a list of questions and possible answers may prove to be helpful.
  • Validation of the instrument and questionnaire used in data gathering.  This tip is useful if there won't be any revisions in the Statement of the Problem during the protocol defense.   Should there be any revisions of the Statement of the Problem during the protocol defense, the validation of the questionnaire will be useless and you will be advised to validate the questionnaire again to coincide with the revised Statement of the Problem.
Other Topics:

Choosing a Dissertation Title

Conceptualizing the Objectives of the Dissertation

Writing Chapters 1, 2 and 3 in Preparation for the Protocol Defense

My Data Gathering Experience

Final Defense and Writing the Final Manuscript

  

No comments:

Post a Comment